Old May 16th 11, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc[_2_]

Default What do I need to know about pet sitters?

Suddenly, without warning, at dot Gandalf exclaimed (5/16/2011 5:37 PM):
On Sun, 15 May 2011 16:55:23 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In ,
wrote:

For the first time ever, I'm considering a pet sitting service for Meep.
I'll be gone for nearly three weeks. She did very poorly the last
time I had her in boarding, so I need to try something new.

I'm a very private and somewhat paranoid person. I do NOT NOT NOT like
the idea of a stranger in my house when I'm away! However, Meep's needs
trump my discomfort.

Can those of you who use a service tell me about them? I'm looking at
services that were recommended by coworkers, but that doesn't always
guarantee they'll do a good job. I'm leaving my cat's life and my
personal home in this person's hands - since they're recommended I
assume they'll do a good job with Meep, but how do I know they won't go
through my stuff while they are here?

Any advice is appreciated! I need to do this for Meep's sake, but I
might be even more of a nervous wreck than I am when putting her into
boarding!

jmc

In this life you can't guarantee anything, but nanny cams even the odds a whole
lot...and can be accessed by the internet

Great idea!

Also, when you call a pet sitting service, ask for several references,
preferably from people who have used their service more than once.

I would also ask that the SAME person come every day, and that you get a
chance to meet the person, and ask them about their experience with
cats.

If they don't show any enthusiasm for cats, if they don't have any cats
of their own, pass on that person.

This makes me glad I never, ever travel.

Good luck.

Nanny cam on it's way...

I got the references first I asked for recommendations of pet
sitters from coworkers, since there's a plethora hereabouts. Helped
narrow it down to less than a half dozen. Some research and it's down
to two that get "interviews" this week. Both will be with, or include,
the person who'd actually care for Meep.

One used to be a veterinary nurse and a vet tech, I'm leaning towards
her due to her stated experience with "special needs" and older cats.
She handles visits to cats like mine herself. This one is also a
cats-only service - the other one seems to be more typical of the area,
mainly dogs but also does cats and other animals.

Isn't cheap though - will cost me around $45 per day (two visits plus
meds). That's the going rate based on my research, which is about twice
what the boarding place charged and about $10 more per day than the vet
did... but Meep should be happier, plus I also get my plants watered and
my house watched, so provided they don't rob me blind (me? paranoid?),
I'll consider that worth the added cost. Truly, I have no choice. The
vet bills from her stressing in the kennel would end up overtopping the
cost of just getting a pet sitter, anyway.

I have a whole list of questions to ask, courtesy of the Humane Society
website.

Appreciate the responses. Would welcome your personal experiences with
pet sitters as well!

jmc