Old February 20th 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

Default Farewell to Tortle

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:42:59 -0800, 22brix wrote:

Dear Tortle,

You have been part of my life for almost ten years. You are much too
young to leave me. I remember when I first saw you--tiny enough to fit
into my pocket. You were the mistress of the inaudible meow even then,
although you broadened your repertoire into a wonderful assortment of
meows, maus, mrrrrraghs, and other untranslatable verbalizations. You
have been with me through many other difficult farewells--you would sit on
my shoulder (sometimes on my head!), your head pressed up against mine,
purring, purring, purring.

You were beautiful--as only a tortoiseshell kitty can be. Soft,plush
light colored tortie fur competing with the odd bit of orange tabby--big,
round green eyes. You looked so different from your brother Hailey--he
always was bigger than you, long haired color point manx that he is. But
you could always outrun him. I remember you chasing him, screaming like a
banshee, just for the hell of it. You made me laugh. Even after you'd
gotten a little older you were always playful--more than any other of my
cats you always acted like a kitten.

I still remember the time you inadvertently got chased outside at night by
Kellie, our dog; I remember my DH having to climb the neighbor's fence in
only his socks and underwear and a flashlight clenched between his teeth,
to catch you and how he only found you by your eyes shining in the light.

I have a row of puncture marks on my side of the table where you would
hook the table with one paw, asking for some attention (and the odd bit of
people food you could purloin). I remember you sitting on my DH's chest,
kneading biscuits so very vigorously he'd sometimes cry out in pain. When
you were sick, you'd crawl under the covers at night for warmth and
comfort--I finally had to kick you out of the room as you began to recover
because in a joyous ecstasty you'd give me love bites and you'd bite hard.

You've been seriously ill several times--once with pancreatitis and then
last year with acute kidney failure. Each time you fought it (and any
medical intervention) with great diligence and vigor. You lost your best
cat friend, Molly, last spring when you were so sick. You battled back
stronger than ever and the last eight or nine months have been an absolute
joy.
I knew that you might eventually lose your battle with your sick kidneys
but I was hoping to put it off, put it off indefinitely, maybe forever.
But hoping doesn't always work. You left me much too soon, you should be
enjoying many more years with us. You got sick so quickly--Saturday you
looked perfect--today I'm saying farewell.

Goodbye, Tortle, sweet dreams--I will be looking for you when I reach the
rainbow bridge. I miss you so much.

Bonnie

"....Rise up slowly, Angel" It's hard to let you go.

condolences for those who mourn MLB