Old December 17th 14, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Default Controlling fleas by humidity

dgk wrote:

John Doe wrote:
John Doe wrote:

I just got wind of the idea that fleas can be controlled by
humidity. We have a very hot summer and I've been using the air
conditioner a lot. It removes tons of water. My male cat's skin
condition has improved to nearly 100%. Apparently it's a seasonal
thing. I'll be prepared from now on. Will use a dehumidifier as
needed. Apparently keeping humidity below 50% nukes fleas. Sounds
like a great solution. No steroids. No chemicals.

Just bought a humidity meter.

To continue following up...

The humidity meter plus dehumidifier keeping the humidity below 50%
has nuked my male cat's scabby cat disease symptoms that were clearly
caused by fleas. His coat has never been as complete and thick as it
is now.

No more fleas, no more excessive licking. Without pesticides, without
steroids, works on every cat in the area without intervention. I think
it's really cool.

Thanks for the hint. I've only once had fleas on the cats but maybe I
have low humidity. I'll keep an eye on it.

I do well at observation/awareness, but apparently fleas can stay under
my radar. There have been very few times when I've actually observed
fleas in the house or on my cats. But this dehumidifier experiment
indicates that fleas have been present at times when I was unaware of
them. Some probably still enter the house, but the humidity control
prevents them from breeding. And that is doing wonders for my male cat.

Yes, at least by an inexpensive humidity meter for the area of concern.
It's fun to watch the humidity rise and fall. When it's over 50%, the
fleas are breeding. And speaking of humid areas, apparently they have a
horrible time in Florida with fleas.