Old January 5th 21, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Buffy has a Bladder Stone

She started acting a little "off" on Saturday. She didn't eat much. I
later noticed litter box problems, which is a new thing for as long as
I've had her. I thought she might be constipated as she appeared to be
straining and what little poop output there was was sometimes outside
the litter box. Urinary output was less than usual, too, even though
she usually drinks a plenty of of water. Then she started hiding. Uh
oh. Buffy rarely hides unless there is is a technician of some sort in
the house to fix something.

Long story short, I got an appointment at the vet this morning and
x-rays show she has a bladder stone. She's slightly dehydrated so they
gave her IV fluids. Also an antibiotic shot and an appetite stimulant.

The vet recommended we change her diet to a prescription one for a few
weeks. She said sometimes a small single bladder stone will dissolve by
itself with a change in diet. (Note: she asked me what I normally feed
Buffy and didn't have a problem with it.) We're hoping this stone will
go away without surgery.

Buffy came back acting like a new cat! It's almost like they gave her
happy pills or something. She's not hiding. She hopped out of the
carrier and drank some water. I poured some of the Rx kibble in her
dish and she went right for it. Could be the appetite stimulant shot
the vet gave her, could be she actually likes the food. (Here's hoping!
Persia always hated the Rx food she had to eat.) I was sent home with
some appetite stimulant capsules since Buffy hadn't really eaten much in
2 days. I'm to start sprinkling half a capsule on her food until she's
eating regularly again. And of course monitor her litterbox output.

She's been sitting in my lap several times since we got home. Not
hiding, not mad at me for taking her to get poked and prodded. She's
not exactly in the mood to bap a golf ball around the living room but
she's obviously feeling a heck of a lot better.

Jill