Old June 22nd 16, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default I Do Not Understand My Neighbor

On 6/22/2016 4:03 PM, Bastette wrote:
MaryL wrote:

On 6/21/2016 9:11 PM, jmcquown wrote:
This is not OT. She's the former slave of Schwartzie & Fedders.

If you're cat-sitting and the owner tells you specifically NOT to let
the cat outside, wouldn't you adhere to their wishes?

All I could think was Blaze's owner told you NOT to let him out. It's
not your decision. He's not your cat!

Any thoughts?

(I don't plan on letting her cat-sit for Buffy should I ever need it.)

Jill

This woman should not have any contact with anyone else's cat. It's too
bad you don't know who the owners are, but it sounds like there are
several. I would actually suggest that you let them know what is going
on if you were familiar with them. The "pet-sitter" (I use that term
loosely, under the circumstances) sounds like a control freak, and she
is placing those cats in jeopardy. Her actions are unkind to Buffy, and
she is also taking a chance that one of the cats will run away and never
be found. Worse, one of them could be killed while in her "care." She
is also lazy because the best thing for the cats would be to take care
of them in their own home(s).

I definitely agree that it's unconscionable to let someone else's cats
out, especially when they've explicitly told her not to. She's a disgrace
to catsitting! If one of the cats is killed or goes missing because she
let them out, how will she explain that to their human when they come to
get their cat?

I wouldn't be too quick to judge her for having people bring their cats
to her, though. We don't know her circumstances. If she has an environment
that's acceptable to cats, that wouldn't be so terrible. I do realize that
a cat would prefer to be in their own territory, but maybe she can't go
to their homes for some reason? This is aside from her letting the cats go
outside.

I have no idea why she couldn't do this in their own homes. She's not
in any way disabled. She's always out in her yard raking, sweeping,
blowing leaves off the driveway. She drives.

Jill, if you can, try to get pictures of her "charges" so that you can
show that she is letting them outside. Then I would try to alert people
in your complex that this is going on. I'd hate for someone to lose a
beloved pet because of this person's incompetence.

I tried to get a pic of Blaze last night but Buffy was yowling and by
the time I grabbed the camera he'd wandered back to her place.

Isn't she the same person who would go away and not leave enough food
for you to feed her cat(s)? And then ask you to go into town to buy more?

Yes, I took care of her cats (in HER home) and I'd often find she was
short of cat food. She didn't ask me to buy more, I *had* to buy more
so they'd have enough. I'd leave her a note saying I had to buy more
food. She didn't offer to reimburse me so I stopped cat sitting.

Jill