Old July 29th 03, 06:36 AM

In article ,
Bob Brenchley. wrote:

Cats are NOT cage animals. If you live in an area where, for whatever
reason, you feel unable to allow a healthy cat its freedom to roam for
at least some time each day (and only you can judge your area) then
don't have a cat. To have a healthy cat, knowing you will keep it in
24/7 marks you are being cruel, selfish, or both.

I'm new to rec.pets.cats and a new cat owner. I was surprised by this
vehement claim. Is this just your personal opinion, or are you an expert
such as a vet? What organisations or studies support your claim?

I obtained my two cats from the Cat Protection Society of NSW, who run a
no-kill shelter in Newtown, Sydney. The CPS included with their paperwork
a fact sheet called "Cats Living Indoors" which states, "More and more
people are keeping their cats indoors because they realise that there are
benefits not just for cats and themselves, but also for the environment.
Cats can live indoors very happily but it's vital... to make the cat's
environment as interesting and fun as possible."

The fact sheet goes on to outline outdoor hazards for cats, including
traffic, other animals, disease, parasites, and poisoning. It explains how
to "help your cat become a contented indoor cat" through desexing and
cleanliness and providing a secure place to hide, toys, greens, a play
centre, high spots to sit, and so on. They suggest having two cats to
entertain each other while the owner's at work.

I don't speak for the CPS, but it's obviously their view that not only is
keeping a cat indoors safer, it's certainly not cruel as long as it's done
with appropriate care.

Rather than letting them roam freely, my plan is to take my two boys out
with a harness and leash, so they can have a good sniff round the
backyard; this has worked very well for my brother and sisters' kittens.
Eventually I hope to get the boys a cat enclosure so they can play
unsupervised. I've known too many cats who were allowed to "roam" and
never came home.

Kate Orman http://www.zip.com.au/~korman/
"I have no idea what that meant." - Dot Warner