Old September 4th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

Default pure breed?

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 15:17:21 -0700, wrote:

I have adopted a siamese cat form the humain society. is there any way
to tell if its pure bred? i.e blood/dna tests?

I don't think there as any way to know for sure, but if it were
important for breeding purposes, you would need papers anyway, and a
shelter is not a place to get a cat with papers.

On the other hand, I understand why we want to know these things. A
couple years ago, I adopted a cat that was listed as a himi mix. I
knew that wasn't true from his face. He looked like a jumbo thick
version of my Balinese, so I just assumed that he was part Siamese or
Balinese and part Maine Coon.

As he got larger and showed off his really wonderful temperment, I was
curious to know if he was part Maine Coon since I had been wanting a
Maine Coon and he seemed to act like one. While at a cat show, I was
advised to check out Ragdolls. They are shown while still immature and
only in one color pattern, so I had no idea that my 17 lb bluepoint
cat was actually a Ragdoll.

Purebred or Wannabe? I'll never know for sure. He looks and acts just
like one, so I call him a Ragdoll. And that only reason I care at all
is because I love his looks and his behavior, and I would like more of
them in the future.

I would say that if he looks and acts like a siamese, he probably is
one. Or is mostly one. As long as you love him, it really doesn't
matter anyway.