Old September 11th 04, 12:39 AM
Steve G

kaeli wrote in message . ..
(...)
I'm just very worried about their health.
2 cans a day shared by 3 cats averages $1 a day right now. When they really
start eating it, it'll be a can each and hopefully better quality stuff in
there, so probably more like $2 a day. That's $60 a month.

Wow, unless you are buying small cans, your cats eat a lot! Mine are
on one-quarter of a large can each per day, and .125-.33 of a cup of
dry each per day. That's around 75c/day (37c/cat), $22/month. I might
even need to reduce their intake slightly to stop one of 'em from
becoming a furry lardarse.

(...)
So if the good quality dry is just as good or better than the lower quality
wet, I'd be more than happy to let them have it.

I guess the problem is that if don't know whether your cats are
especially susceptible to urinary nastyness, then you don't know
whether it's best to err on the side of water intake (****ty wet food)
versus generally better nutritional profile (quality dry).

It might be possible to increase a cat's water intake by altering the
temperature or presentation method of their water - don't know if
anyone has actually researched this though. (I keep meaning to do an
n=2 experiment myself, comparing the water intake when a fountain is
available versus when a bowl is the weapon of choice. Dunno if I'll
ever do this though).

Uselessly and parathetically,
Steve.