Old September 13th 04, 02:44 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
kaeli wrote in message . ..
(...)
I'm just very worried about their health.
2 cans a day shared by 3 cats averages $1 a day right now. When they really
start eating it, it'll be a can each and hopefully better quality stuff in
there, so probably more like $2 a day. That's $60 a month.

Wow, unless you are buying small cans, your cats eat a lot!

Oh, they don't eat it all. I just don't like to store wet food in the fridge
and then have to heat it. So they share one in the morning and one in the
evening, but they rarely finish it all. So, they each get about a half a can
a day plus a little dry.
The "recommended serving" on the cans says a can per day per 8 pound cat.
The cans are, IIRC, somewhere around 5 oz.
The cans range from 40 cents to $1 each, depending on what kind I buy.

I'm so used to free-feeding dry, I have no clue how much wet to give them.

(...)
So if the good quality dry is just as good or better than the lower quality
wet, I'd be more than happy to let them have it.

I guess the problem is that if don't know whether your cats are
especially susceptible to urinary nastyness, then you don't know
whether it's best to err on the side of water intake (****ty wet food)
versus generally better nutritional profile (quality dry).

I know.
I worry most about Rowan and Jeffrey. Rowan, because she's always been a
little sickly and she gets dehydrated very quickly and Jeffrey b/c he's a
boy. Isis always seems well-hydrated.
They all drink ample water.

I think what I'm going to do is give them whatever wet they like the most in
the morning and late afternoon and leave them a half-cup of their higher-
quality dry to share overnight.

~kaeli~
Quantum Express: When you absolutely, positively, don't
know where it's going or when it needs to be there.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace