Old January 23rd 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default I Question Something about Best Friends... need to ask our Aussie friends

Yowie wrote:

There is no native equivalent of the domestic cat in Australia...

[snip lots of fascinating stuff]

Not only that, the cats out there in the bush are generally not 'domestic',
they've gone generationally feral. Through natural selection, Australia has
two type sof 'domestic' cat - the house cat, and the 'bush' cat. The hosue
cat is still the same size and temperament of house cats around the world,
the 'bush' cat is significantly bigger, smarter and far far meaner. The
'bush' cat could not be re-domesticated much like a bobtail could not be
domesticated, they are *wild*.

Wow, are you saying that the bush cat has evolved from the original
domestic cat brought by ships to Australia, into a different species of
feline? I didn't know about this. Are they really a separate species?
Could the bush cat procreate with a house cat? (Not asking if anyone
would *want* this to happen, just wondering whether it's physically
possible.)

Joyce
--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.