Old July 19th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Regarding panda young

Christina Websell wrote:

"Sjouke Burry" wrote in message

The panda baby suckled by a cat has regrettably died.
He was diagnosed to have choked on milk.....
I know, it sounds weird, but that was the explanation..

I have just posted about this in Nanny's thread.

I wonder if nursing on a cat had its risks? Maybe panda milk doesn't
flow as easily as cat milk, so the panda sucks harder than a kitten
would, and as a result, he got a lot more milk into his mouth at once
than he would've if he'd been suckling on his own mom? Just a wild
guess, I really have no idea. Maybe a panda mother knows certain dangers
to watch for with baby pandas that a cat mother wouldn't need to be
aware of?

Not that I think they made a mistake in giving him to the mother cat.
Obviously, it was the best situation available for the panda bitty,
who didn't have a lot of options.

--
Joyce ^..^