Old July 30th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default More festering..

Yowie wrote:

Ye Olde Chapman Remedy for Itchy Bites:

Take teaspoon, run spoon end under hot tap. Press back of spoon firmly on
itchy spot until spoon cools to body temp. Repeat a few times if itchy spot
is big. This should make the itch go away for good, whether the itchy spot
is fresh, or several days old. Note: temperature of spoon when applied
should be at least 50?C when initially applied, hot enough to be 'ouch' but
not hot enough to cause serious burns with a few seconds contact. Besides,
anyone who has had an infuriating itchy bite will know that a minor burn to
the skin is still far less annoying and uncomfortable than an itchy bite

Interesting. I wonder if this works for any kind of itch, not just itching
from bites? I ask because I have chronic itching on the backs of my hands
and forearms, as well as on my feet. I think the foot itching is from
athlete's foot, so I apply anti-fungal periodically to try to beat that
back. But I don't know why my arms and hands itch. Sometimes it's so bad
that I end up rubbing my skin raw, trying to get relief. I'll put benedryl
cream on it (an anti-histamine), which usually helps. Yes, I've asked doctors
about it - nobody has a clue (or, apparently, any interest in finding out
what causes it).

I'm going to try the hot spoon method next time I get an overwhelming itch.
I'm not sure I could ever succeed at the "don't scratch" method. I've
tried and tried to resist but it's too intense to be able to stand it!

--
Joyce ^..^