Old December 23rd 03, 03:08 AM
redpenner

I have no knowledge of rhinotracheitis causing any development issues, but I
can tell you that there is no reason to wait for your cat to go into heat to
get her spayed. In fact, you want to do it before she goes into heat. That
way, she (and you) will never have to suffer through being in heat. Also, I
don't know if you were planning on getting her spayed while in heat, which
you can do, but it's more complicated apparently and vets charge more to
spay an in-heat female. You should wait until she has recovered from the
rhino flare-up, and take her in then. She shouldn't have to be gone from
home too long. The usual time is drop-off the evening before, and pick up
the next late-afternoon. You could even get the kitties spayed at the same
time! Ask your vet how young they spay kittens. The vets our shelter uses
spay kittens as long as they are over 8 weeks old and 2 lbs.

Well our vet told us that it was actually *easier* to spay during heat, as the uterus is bigger and
easier to work with, and he doesn't charge more. (But I have had vets tell me the opposite, so who
knows...gotta go along with the Drs we have available!)
I know what you mean about not letting heat start; it's miserable for us and for her. Our local
vets won't spay kittens until after they have their adult teeth, so as soon as #2 gets hers we will
take them both in, heat or no.

Thanks for the reassurance!

---