View Single Post
Old March 24th 13, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
silknsox
external usenet poster

Default Cats & cataracts

Can anyone tell me a little bit cats & cataracts please?

I have a lady who's cat has obvious cataracts. I know that in humans we have to wait until the cataracts are ripe & then only when they're ready to be lasered away. And, additionally,only one eye can be treated at a time..?

Is the process the same with cats?

She didn't exactly plan on having a cat- she moved into her new flat & found her new lodger waiting on the doorstep every evening It would seem the last tenants left him to fend for himself. Humans can be shameful cruel........

I must say for a cat who's virtually blind, he has an amazing ability to find his way around his own little kingdom~jumping from window sill & on to his radiator cat bed...no problem locating his litter trays or negotiating his way around the entire house for that matter. I know alot is attributed to his sense of smell, hearing & balance. He's only 4 yrs old. This is the first time anyone has ever asked me about cataracts-I've dealt with blind cats & all manner of other problems & challenges..But never cataracts. No appetite problems,oozing with confidence & he is SOOO friendly.He hardly seems phased at all. He's a Big fat tabby cat (Yes, I fell in love immediately- of course I am green with envy )

Nevertheless, Clearly they need attending to.Does anyone have any personal experience that may help this young lady's cat, "Frazer". I'm sure she would appreciate the advice the group has to offer, especially with making his life a little easier during this transitional period

Many thanks in advance.