Old March 20th 14, 04:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default Selective pet feeder recommendations

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 21:53:27 -0500, "MaryL"
wrote:

"Arthur Rubin" wrote in message

Please suggest other groups this should be submitted to.... It's been a long
time since I've accessed Usenet or Google groups.

I'm looking for a feeder which only one cat can use; I have three cats here,
and one of them can be free-fed. Others should be on a restricted diet.

I tried the WonderBowl, and I (per consumer reviews, which I didn't read
first) couldn't attach the fob to his collar in such a way as the bowl
stayed open. That being the least expensive option (~$60), I thought I
would ask for advice before trying more expensive options (~$100 to ~$250).

Any ideas? He (and one of the other cats) have a harness and have had a
collar; the third cat _could_ have a harness and collar if necessary. (One
of the feeders advertised on the net had options to program separately for
up to 8 animals.) All of the feeders I've seen advertized on the Web,
except for the WonderBowl and the most expensive RFID tag system, warned
that some cats cannot use the feeders because they don't remain at the
proper angle for sensor detection while eating.

Arthur Rubin
Brea, California

~~~~~~~~~~
I'm not familiar with feeders that only one cat can use. However, my
brother and sister-in-law has a cat (one of three) that has to be fed
separately. They built a box with a cat door in it, and they place this
cat's food in the box. The cat door can only be accessed by the "special"
cat. It sounds like the WonderBowl uses a fob similar to the one on this
cat's collar that opens the door on the feeding station. They live some
distance from me, but I could email and ask them for information if you
think you would be interested in this type of setup. Their setup does not
depend on sensor detection while eating--it is sensor detection to get into
the box. Of course, they also had to train their cat to do that.

MaryL

This is sort of great. I haven't heard of these devices but I have
tracking tags on my cats' collars so I can find them if necessary.
Clearly this is the same principal.