Old January 26th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Richard Evans

Default Beware of cat

"jmagerl" wrote:

Mr.Bonkers is a watch cat. When the doorbell rings, he is right there to
hiss, scratch, bite any stranger that comes into the house. He defends his
property with a vigor. Every other cat I have ever know has prefered to run
and hide when a stranger approaches. Not this guy. Lord help any kid that
ever chases him.

I have one sitting next to me at this moment who was like that, even
worse. I was fostering him for a rescue group and he was so fierce we
had to keep him locked in a room and push food in with a broom handle.
Both a vet and an animal behaviorist said he'd have to be put down.

It took me several months just to let him out of the room safely, and
a couple of years of constant contact (he lived in my home office)
before he truly settled down. He went from being fiercely aggressive,
to simply not letting me touch him, to being OK, even downright
loving, with me but not letting anyone into the office. My poor tech
support guy was terrified of him. The cat would follow him from the
door to the computer, and when the poor guy sat down the cat would
climb on his chest and hiss in his face. I had to lock the cat up to
get my computer fixed. He finally reaching a truce with strangers on
his own turf. Instead of stalking them, he simply gives them a
perfunctory hiss just to let them know he's watching them then goes
about his business. Unfortunately, he reverts to his savage self with
strangers outside the home. I have to tranquilize him for the vet to
examine him.

That's whiy I ended up adopting him, because he never made nice with
potential adopters.

Anyway, that's a long story just to say it can be done.

When strangers come to call, have them feed him something he really
likes.