Old December 19th 10, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Default Update: Abelard needs help

Christina Websell wrote:

I hope Abelard will be stabilised on his drip and continues to recover.
If he has CRF, when he comes home he might need to drink rehydration fluid
like KFC had to. *You can buy it in sachets from your vet for loadsa money
or you can ask me for the recipe which is identical which kept her going for
a long time.
It's very palatable, KFC drank it like a fish.

There is no secret to rehydration fluid which cats with kidney problems need
to drink once they are up and going and I will freely share that with you if
you want.
I will not do that unless I know your vet has agreed he's fit to go home
because I know you, with all that "natural medicine is best" *Which is fine
for minor things which will resolve on their own but this is not.

I'm sure Abelard would be happy to drink something like this. He loves
all sorts of broths, he will even drink the liquid out of canned
vegies if he can get it. I've let him have all sorts of broths and
he's never turned one down.

He will stay on the drip until he's well enough to come home but I'd
like to have a special drink on hand for him the second he gets here.
That is, if he makes it. Both vets expressed doubts that he would be
able to survive this episode. I will know more in a few hours.