Old October 26th 05, 06:02 AM
Mike S.

Default Calcium Oxalate stone - can't remove

Your vet is misinformed. Ureterotomies are the only way to remove
ureteroliths in cats and have been performed for many years. Its not a
simple surgery and should be a last resort- there is a risk of postoperative
leakage and stricture formation- so it must be performed very carefully- but
it can and has been done.

I can't remember the exact reason
but it seems like part of it was because the ureter wouldn't heal
properly (I can't remember).

He was probably thinking about ureteral anastomois- that's when a section of
the ureter is removed and the cut ends are joined together. That's a very
difficult surgery to perform in cats. But that's not the type of procedure
your needs- if he needs surgery.

How (or at what point) do I know if and when he needs surgery to remove
the stone? I was under the impression that all calcium oxalate stones
have to be surgically removed. Will the stone move from the ureter and
into the bladder? The vet acted like it wouldn't move and would stay in
the ureter. He thoroughly confused me because he gave me the runaround
when I asked about how to remove it.