Old September 17th 11, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

Default Stone Soup

On Sep 16, 6:19*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Oh, there are so many versions. *This is the most popular.

This made me very nostalgic- many years about (I think it was 79-80)
Dave and me went to the Windsor Free Festival, which the police moved
to Caesar's Camp at Bracknell, couldn't get the generators through so
no music but a pleasant couple of days camped out in the countryside.

On the last night all we had left with some chapati flour and some
onions- so we got some water mixed it with the flour for chapati's and
added the onions to the water to make some onion soup.

About ten minutes later some people in the next tent came along and
said they had some carrots so could we add them to the soup and
share. Then someone turned up with some peas. Then someone with
potatoes. Then someone with a tin of ham .In the end there everyone
at the site adding what they could to the cooking pot, someone else
had baking potatoes that we cooked in the embers as several people
present didn't eat meat but had no problems with the potatoes
especially after some cheese was produced from somewhere. Someone else
had a couple of loaves of bread and so it went on all evening

None of us had much but by putting what we had together we ended up
with the most delicious feast for everyone, it went on for hours with
everyone talking, a couple of people playing guitars, some people
doing a yoga session, someone took a turn to read some poetry, a
couple of guys did an improvised light show on the sides of the hill
with torches, Okay a couple of people had nothing but some weed but
passed it round for a share of the soup which by this point was more
like a thick stew.

The soup/stew btw came out fabulous one of the best things I have ever
eaten

It was a wonderful night....even the few police on the site were
mellow because it was the Reading Festival weekend and this was the
year that a lot of anti police feeling was going on there so they were
guarding us while their colleagues were dodging spit and thrown
bottles. I remember a policeman sitting down by the fire to ask me if
I was going to get home okay in the morning seeing as how we didn't
seem to have a lot of money (We had a return ticket from Windsor and I
had carefully stashed just enough cash for the bus to Windsor- I've
always been a lot more sensible than I look!) and without thinking I
handed him the joint someone passed to me (I didn't inhale honest!)!
He said something like "Not on duty" and passed it round!

Great memory! Thanks for that!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs