Old August 1st 10, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Default 'Temptations' anti-hairball snacks?

"KenK" wrote

Anyone tried the Whiska's 'Temptations' hairball control cat snacks? I've
unsuccessfully tried everything else I'm aware of or heard about here
(anti-hairball food I've tried gives her diarrhea). BM problems? Other
problems? I'm going to try Google later this morning.

Hi KenK, not being sure what you may have tried, here's the gist of what
I've read.

Most commercial anti-hairball things all act like a laxative. Some more
strongly than others. Many (myself included) feel this isn't healthy over
long term so have taken to other methods. These assume you are well past
the basics of brushing as much excess as feasible on a regular basis.

Several chimed in recently with a sort of 'fiber addition'. I've not used
this personally in any deliberate way but others have had success. Most
mentioned pumpkin (the orange stuff used at Halloween if you aren't USA and
pumpkin has a wider meaning). Folks get cans of it then freeze in small
portions and dole out with the food. Some mentioned this works for any
'winter squash' that the cat likes. It's pureed fairly fine and added by
the tablespoon or with some cats, 1/2 tablespoon twice a day. My cat and
dog like acorn squash baked with butter so they always get a little scoop
when we make some. Apparent effect here on both pets is a mild stool
softening but not at all like diarrhea.

My own methods seem to be related to feeding broth (home made, salt free,
bone broth mostly left over chicken carcasses tossed in a crockpot) and
feeding a bit of extra fat (Olive oil, bacon or chicken rendered fat etc).

Both methods are utterly harmless to try with the fiber addition being the
more well known one. Just keep it salt free as possible for pet use (They
aren't as sodium tolerant as we are in the long run).

Last but not least, my experience has been that cats fed on a dry kibble
diet, no matter how high the quality of it, tend to have more furball
problems. They also have a higher prevalence of other problems due to
moisture intake issues not related to your question.

The easiest path if you are dry feeding now, is to try wet feeding for a
week (remove the dry) and see if it helps. Best method is a small can in
the morning and another in the evening. Fancy Feast may not be the best on
the market, but will do for this and you don't have to mess with storing 1/2
the larger can in the fridge for 'dinner'.