Old June 19th 15, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JJ[_2_]

Default Indoor-only cats

"Larry Stark" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 21:13:29 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

On 6/18/2015 7:52 PM, Joy wrote:
Does everybody who has indoor-only cats still get them all their shots?

I just got a card saying that Koala will be due for an FVRC-P shot next
month. Neither of my cats even shows an interest in going outside, and
nobody ever brings animals here.

Koala has finally gotten to the point where he trusts me. I'd hate to
destroy that trust by catching him, sticking him in a carrier, and
taking him to the vet. Not only that, I'm not at all sure I could do
it. I'm closer to my 80th birthday than my 79th, and he's very strong.
He also has sharp claws, because I can't cut them. He will sit on my
lap, and he now loves to have me pet him, but I can't pick him up or
hold onto him.

Suggestions?

Joy

I just adopted Buffy so I have no idea about her shot/vet records. I
plan to take her to the vet in the next month just for a general
check-up. But I won't be getting her vaccinated.

I really don't think vaccinations are necessary for cats that are not
exposed to any sort of outdoor or unfamiliar pets/animals. Of course
I'm not a vet, this is purely opinion.

I do know Persia's vet didn't insist on shots in the last few years of
her life. Some shots are mandated, depends on the State. Rabies shots
are required here in SC. But again, Persia's vet never insisted upon it
until she had to be boarded. She knew Persia was an indoor cat and
wasn't going to be exposed. It will be the same situation with Buffy.

Have a talk with the vet. Explain the situation. Is there any way they
could come to you if they absolutely have to?

Jill

The vet I go to for mine just gives rabies and distemper if indoor
only. The wife's vet gives hers every shot she can it seems even
though they are strictly indoors.

Our vet does the same (rabies and distemper only). Both our cats are indoor
only. When I asked him about anti-flea meds, he told me he sells it to
people who insist, but that I'd be wasting my money.

Jay