Old July 18th 08, 08:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default OT - Recognize These Symptoms?

"Enfilade" wrote in message
Folks, this isn't sleep deprivation nor is it short term. I've been
having those symptoms for over a year now, including times when I was
regularly getting 10 hours of sleep a night (or more). I have been
having those symptoms when I have been waiting to hear back from a job
application while collecting EI (ie, not working, not applying for
work, and not worrying about income). I have rarely had a less
stressful time in my life, with no work, no school and no significant
worries, yet the symptoms were still there. The only difference was,
no one cares if I can't figure out an old Transformer, forget the
names of My Little Ponies, or lose a book and need to wait a couple
weeks until Dylan stumbles across it. And I had DP around to keep me
"straight" and double-check everything. Now, if I'm mixing things up,
forgetting my address and not seeing things right, it matters.

No, I'm not driving to work. I mostly quit driving months ago due to
confusion/mistakes/uncertainty about colours of stop lights, or
direction of traffic, or whether something is or isn't a driveway.
When I can't be "sure" about those things, I don't feel I belong at
the wheel if I have to guess. I will drive with DP in the car, or
down the road; I don't feel good about doing much more alone. I have
a paper I carry around to make sure I get on the right bus.

As for the crazy shifts - this is not a long term situation. It is a
one or two week situation (I am required to give the hotel two weeks'
notice before I quit and/or change my shifts around. I began working
for the clinic the less than 4 hours after my interview - ie behind
the desk working. I cannot not train at the new job, as the trainer
is leaving on mat leave tomorrow, nor can I leave the hotel without a
worker as there is no one available for my shift at such short
notice. I am trying to trade shifts, as I want the hotel job as a
fallback should this other position fall through. I am already
uncomfortable in that had I known the degree of accounting/math
involved, I would have declined during the interview. Now I'm hired
and "stuck".)

I love working at the hotel. I'm basically a security guard there,
with a side of customer service. I watch security cams, lock/unlock
doors, and when asked, serve coffee or forward phone calls. That's
about it...I usually "do" about 1 or 2 things a night, the rest of the
time I'm staying up watching the building and wandering around,
drinking tea and reading. Best job ever.

I wonder if I just can't handle the stress of an office job any more?
Gods, I used to be a /pilot/ and I handled THAT okay...I don't know
what went "wrong" if that's the case.

I am fine in typing. You may notice it as an odd thing talking to
me. You will be frustrated as hell watching me try to use numbers or
remember things I have heard, because it doesn't "stick".

--Fil

Are you taking any medication? The symptoms could be a side effect of
medication, or two medications working together. In any case, I'd see a
doctor asap. I thought it was sleep deprivation too until you said you've
been having the symptoms for a year.

Joy