Old September 3rd 09, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Default Cats and cleaning products?

Nadia N. wrote:
I'm unlurking to ask about cleaning products dangerous to cats. I am
hoping that with all the vast experience on this group, I'll be able to
find answers to my questions.

We will be moving to a new apartment in the next few weeks. As is usual
here in Spain, there are no carpets in the new place - all the floors
are tile. I am not sure what cleaning products might have been used to
wash the floors before we rented the place. I know that there are
certain products which are very toxic to cats.

So my question is, IF the floors in the new apartment had been washed
using some of those toxic products, what can I do to wash off the
remains of the toxic stuff? Could any toxic stuff have worn off over
time? I think the apartment has been empty for at least 2 or 3 months,
so would that be enough time for any toxic residue of the cleaning
products to dissipate? Any suggestions on what I can scrub the floors
with in order to get rid of any possible last traces of the dangerous
stuff?

We didn't have this worry when we first moved here because our first
apartment was brand new - it had never been lived in. But with this one,
I worry about the kitties' health. I am not going to bring them into the
new apartment until I'm sure it's safe for them.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me. And special thanks
from Kotyo and Sweety who will be the ones walking on the tile floors
and then licking their paws...

Nadia (and Kotyo and Sweety)

I'm not an expert on cleaning products but my first thought was a
vinegar solution. Perhaps 1/4 cup per gallon of hot water. Use plenty
of the water. MLB