Old July 31st 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default OT - LA Bans Fast Food

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Jul 31, 10:29 am, Daniel Mahoney wrote:
snipped
The arguments I've heard from Food Nazis is that it hurts the entire
country, in that the public ends up paying for the increased medical costs
associated with an obese public.

snipped
Dan

This is the part that seemed to jump off the page to me. If I
understaood correctly, this poor, mostly-black-and-hispanic area is
the only area affected right now. So,
what's the reason for that? That the more affluent suburbs have better
health care insurance policies and the government *does* have so much
increased costs?

This is just weird, weird and disturbing. A big slab of prime rib
isn't exactly healthy, either. Are upscale restaurants going to be
next? Taxed, maybe, for serving unhealthy items on the menu? Sheesh.
There are greasepoon diners everywhere that make McDonald's look like
health food. This is just crazy.

Sherry

I think that the fast food places are more popular in the poorer parts of
town because you can get food there *cheaply* (how many times have you seen
a commercial about a "dollar menu"). It's all well and good to say you want
"sit down restaurants" so people will start eating healthier, but that
doesn't do a darn bit of good if people can't afford to eat at them. I have
a hard time believing that fast food joints are the *only* restaurants in
town, but I think a large part of their popularity is that they're
affordable to people making minimum wage!

Hugs,

CatNipped