Old March 12th 08, 04:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
David McCracken

Default Euthanasia: when is the right time?

"David McCracken" wrote in message
The first pet I've ever owned is very sick and is being treated for
lymphoma. Despite her illness, she still has the strength to do her usual
routine; she still eats, uses the litter box, etc. Her personality is
still there.

I've had some friends tell me they think I'm prolonging her suffering and
she should be killed. In three months, I've spent thousands on chemo
treatments and other tests and procedures, as I would for any daughter of
mine.

Personally, I believe I'm in the best position to judge whether or not
she's suffering. She's certainly not in any pain, is still
affectionate --she's still herself in many respects.

But since this is my first cat and I've never had to euthanize an animal,
I do wonder if I'm dragging things out.

I'm curious how other, more experienced pet owners out there have wrestled
with this. Some people have told me I'll "just know" when the right time
will be.

Thanks and I appreciate any insight.

I want to thank all of the people who have replied. I very much appreciate
the insight.

Thanks,
David