Old November 14th 11, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kraut / Larry Stark

Default r.p.c.a on Facebook

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 08:09:47 -0800 (PST), Lesley
wrote:

For years I posted to this cat newsgroup, but there's a Facebook version
that I believe is so much better.

I alternate between this group and the FB one, which incidentally I
don't think is any better than this one or any worse. This ng to me
feels more like a group of friends chatting in the pub/coffe bar
wherever- I don't think you can have the prolonged public
conversations on FB that go off tangent and usually end up with yet
another of Jill's recipies being printed out for later use if not
fairly immediate use (I've lost count of the times Jill's latest
recipie has answered the question "What shall we have tonight?" for
me) I'm getting quite a big cook book. In FB conversations rarely last
long and tend to stay on topic

FB to me is useful in a number of non-cat related ways more than
anything- through it I've reconnected with friends from years ago
which is sometimes a sad thing (after all I'm almost 54 so it follows
when I'm asking after people from my late teens early 20's- a few are
no longer with us- one of the sweetest guys I've ever met got taken
by leukaemia 6 years back, someone else got killed in a car accident
etc) and also its useful to stay in touch with some of my family (not
all I'm pretty restrictive about who I allow as a "friend")

Basically I read here first (I have various groups I read pretty much
daily, this is the first one I come to) then I'll go to my various
other social sites/fourms (my games club, HV festival, FB and my
photography forum)

I don't regard FB as the be all and end all-it's just another useful
tool

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I am affraid I agree with Lesley. The only reason I am on the FB
version is to keep up with the posters that no longer use the news
groups. I hate to say it but in my opinion the news groups are on
their way out. :-(