Old February 2nd 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default New family member - Part 4

Enfilade wrote:
Obviously, I plan to take her to the vet ASAP, but is there
any way to be sure whether a cat has been spayed?

I really don't know. Nocturne's scar is huge, so her spayage is pretty
obvious. A vet might be able to tell, if they knew where to probe to
feel for scar tissue even if they couldn't see it.

Well, it looks like that's my first stop tomorrow morning!
I called the vet's office today - if there's a scar, they
can probably see it, if they shave the hair on her tummy
abot. They can also feel her tummy to see if they detect
the organs still in place. Also, the receptionist said if
the cat is in heat, the vet can certainly tell, os I'd
better get her in there while the behaviour continues.
However, the way she's acting this evening leaves me with
little doubt - no sound a cat makes is QUITE like a female
in heat, and she's certainly not sick! But WHY would anyone
pay for surgery to remove a cat's claws, but be too cheap to
have it neutered at the same time? (Quite apart from the
fact I look upon declawing as immoral, the neutering seems
far more essential!)

--Fil