Old October 4th 16, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

Default Preparing for the Jellicle Ball

Community Kitties wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

[As everybody scurries around getting food distributed and put into
storage, they are interrupted by the sound of a fleet of helicopters
flying overhead. As they watch, the choppers make low passes over the
neighboring blackened hillsides, and drop clouds of something green.
After dropping a load of green stuff, a helicopter will fly off, then
the next copter in line drops it's load right next to where the
previous one dropped. In short order all of the surrounding hillsides
have been covered with the mysterious green stuff.

The lead copter approached Ginger Valley, and as it gets closer
it’s seen that this is actually a catacopter, with a little silver
kitty at the controls. The copter lands in a clearing and the kitty
gets out.]

Sammy: Francesca, is dat you? What are you doing flying da
catacopter? And where did you find it?

Francesca the Fierce: Yes, itz me. I was going thru da desk in my
room at home - you know, da room dat used to be Harri Roadcat’s -
an I founded her notes on where da catacopter was hangered and how to
fly it. I was out tryin it out when I saw dat all the hills around
here was black, and figgered dat wifout grass an stuff when da rains
come all da soil will wash away. So I ‘ported over to da Forest
Service base in Sam Bernardino an found some offur kitties who could
fly, and we dropped a mixture of grass seed an mulch an fertilizer on
da burned areas. Dat way mebbe some grass will start to grow before
the rains come an mebbe we can avoid flooding.

Sammy: Wow! Dats a good idea. Do you fink mebbe some of da Forest
Service cats could arrange to get more trees planted here, to help da
critters dat eat parts of trees?

Francesca: Already workin on it! Later today a bunch of volunteers
will be flying in wif some seedlings. In fact, dat sounds like dem
now.

[Sure enough, a large cargo helicopter is soon seen heading for the
clearing. It’s a good thing it’s a big clearing! After the big
Sikorsky settles and it’s rotors wind down, the side door opens and
a large beaver wearing a hard cat emerges.]

Francesca: Sammy, dis is mine friend Chip. Him brought a dozen
volunteers and dozens of seedlings. Chip, dis is mine brofur Sammy.

Chip: Hey there, Sam! How they hangin? Nice to meetcha. Hey, Franny,
we’re all ready to go. Looks like there’s some very promising
growing areas up on those milder slopes. If nobody has any objection
we’ll just get started planting and watering.

Mr Bobcat and a group of locals come up to help. Mr Sire and his
daughter have small pull poles (a very ancient device with panniers on
the sides, it doesnt get stuck on the hills). Several deer head out
and knowing trees so well, they direct dogs and others able to dig,
where to put holes for the seedlings. It will also stabilize the soil
with proper placement.

With delight, the little mare squeels when she sees several types of
apple trees! There are 20 in all and they are cross pollenators plus
there are 2 crabapples (universal pollenators) they can centrally
place. They are big ones (6-7ft) so in 2 years, they should have a
natural crop of apples. With careful measurement, they plant them in 2
cirles with a crabapple in the center. The circles are far enough
apart, that there will be a gap between them. If they got it right,
the sun will set perfectly between them at the time of the ball, when
standing at the big piece of granite that they always used for
ceremonies.

A bunch of raccons and squirrels run by with seedling pines that will
make lovely pine nuts in a few years. A goat with 2 panniers of
blackberry plants heads to one of the less stable looking cliffs
thinking they grow fast and will stabilize it. She has 2 raccoons on
her back that can nimbly plant them. Their hands/paws make it easy to
hold on as she climbs or drops the sheer cliffs to get to her
destination.

7 Armadilos (most just kids) head out with the livelyist worms from
their breaskfast bowls and break up the soil that was black but healthy
still under it, and drop a few in. Mr Bobcat orders more live
earthworms. He didnt know they were an important part of the forrest,
but now he does.

As things progress, it will be green in spring and some will be green
in 2 weeks.

Five cadres of mice run out to spread the grass seedlings out.

2 dogs help pull out grills from the supplies and drag the propane over
for the smaller kittah chefs. Soon the smell of various goodies waifts
over the area as various animals work.

The domestic kittahs look a little amazed at the things their wild
neighbors eat, but nod as honey is poured over live grubs then set in a
dish, next to another of seared salmon and beside that, one of whole
acorns. Since the cats need just meat, they find it very interesting
to see large bowls of wheat and oat shafts with a flavoring of rye
shafts. It looks like everyone is getting what they need. There is
even (off to the side for the vulture family) a small plank of wood
with a rather aged trout, rolled lightly in what seems to be gravel.
(a critter selects a lovely maggot to sample and determines it is
perfect after sprinkling a little sand for the gullet).

They all scamper to get chairs and such ready.

Just in case of rain, a large pavilon is raised facing the granite rock
that looks over the 2 circles of apple trees. They dont have a fancy
castle or cave, but they hope all will enjoy this year and that Bast
will show!