Old October 8th 14, 08:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Sundance and/or Rebecca

Default Jellicle Ball 2014: The Ball begins

Kitties and doggies step from teleporters into the glen in the heart of Cat Valley, part of California's Yosemite Park. The orchestra, led by Hercule Lenoir, plays a soft melody to help keep everybody relaxed and comfortable. The sky overhead is mostly clear, though a few tendrils of mist can be seen. The ground is also just slightly misty. The newly risen moon can be seen partially through the pine trees ringing the valley.

Wild animals emerge from the forest and mingle with the cats and dogs. Deer, squirrels, raccoons, foxes, beavers, mountain lions, and a few bears sniff the feline and canine guests, and offer nudges and snuffles of friendship.. Even the snakes slithering out of the forest appear eager to befriend their visitors.

As everybody settles into comfortable positions on the many levels of the amphitheater, Hercule brings the orchestra to a stop. Everybody's focus shifts towards the stage. The mist that is light and feathery around the rows of seats is growing heavier on the stage, and seems to be forming into clumps and knots. These dark clusters of mist start to writhe and wriggle, and dance around each other on stage. A haunting melody, played on flutes and strings, seems to emanate from the stage. The dark forms dance in time with the music, mesmerizing the watchers.

As the dance progress, the rising moon finally rises completely above the trees, and shafts of moonlight fall upon the stage. The dark clumps of mist resolve into very large cats, some nearly 7 feet tall, dancing smoothly with each other. As they become clear, half of the cats leap off the stage and dash up the aisles between the seating areas, leaping over and gamboling with the cats and other animals they find relaxing there. All of the dancers whirl gracefully and smoothly, purring loudly while dancing.

Movement can be see at the back of the amphitheater. From the left a dark figure wearing a hooded black cloak climbs the stairs and starts walking slowly towards the center of the stage. From the right a figure wearing a hooded bright red cloak does likewise, and a figure wearing a silver hooded cape comes forward from the center of the back of the stage. The 3 figures all head towards center stage, and as they advance the giant dancers dance smoothly around them.

When the 3 figures reach center stage they draw back their hoods. From left to right they are revealed to be Morgana, Priestess of the Second World, Mau, High Priestess of the Temple of Bast, and Aed, Priest of the Second World. The three join hands and start to chant, the chant harmonizing with the ethereal music. When the chant reaches its peak, the three at center stage drops their hands, turn to face the assembled animals, and clap their paws.. At the sound of the clap, the dancers all turn to mist and dissipate. The haunting music of the flutes and strings slowly dissipates as well.

Mau: All those present at this Jellicle Ball, welcome!

Morgana: We have all gathered here to remember those of our families who have crossed the Rainbow Bridge ahead of us.

Aed: We have gathered so that we may jointly remember the wonders that they brought to our lives, and to celebrate the love that we have all shared with them and with each other.

Mau: Everybody, feline and otherwise, please join us in contemplating those who we miss.

[The entire assemblage becomes silent, as heads are seen nodding, and as many smiles as tears can be seen on the faces of those present.]

Mau, Morgana, and Aed in unison: Everybody, welcome to the Jellicle Ball of 2014. Let us remember our loved ones! And may Bast smile upon us this evening.