Old August 1st 08, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

Default Pure Bred Behavior

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 21:44:38 -0400, tanadashoes wrote:

QC is the closest to a pure-bred cat we've ever been owned by. She is a
mix, we think, who is very close to the Maine Coon profile except that her
ears are not very tufted. I've read about the average personality for
Maine Coons, and QC is a lot like they are reputed to be. She is a very
calm gentle giantess with a bitty kitty meow and a very laid back
attitude. She is big and can be bad if she decides that is what she
wants. Before Berfert brought her home, she'd decimated the animal
population in our back yard. She is very stubborn and the other cats don't
try to push her around as it is like shoving against a brick wall. Qui
Gun Kit tried to dominate her, only to find out that she packs a mean
tongue and knows how to lick a moving kitten. There isn't a mean bone in
her body and she is the best judge of human personalities in the clowder.
She hugs those she really likes, presents her tummy for rubs, and knows
that we need her to purr against any part of us that is in pain.

So, I know that there are at least two others with Maine Coon mixes out
there. What are your owners like? If you have a pure-bred or nearly so,
what is their personality like and how close does it conform to what is
accepted to be the breed standard? Do your moggies have pure-bred
personalities? Yeah, I know, even moggies are pure bred, or at least a
lot went into their breeding.

Your description of QC is a near perfect match for Fleagor. His breeding
is unknown, but he is a good match for the breed type, including the ear
tufts. He doesn't treat pain - I have other cats for that. He's also
down right dangerous at times: he bit me badly twice in the first couple
of years he was with me, and frequently draws blood when I don't think he
really meant to, just to indicate displeasure. He's not aggressive enough
to be the alpha cat - that falls to Mudpie, but in his early years with me
he was the defacto alpha male. One oddity is that he specializes in
hunting frogs, largely ignoring voles and mice.

--
T.E.D. )