Old August 2nd 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default Pure Bred Behavior

"CatNipped" wrote in message

Sammy acts *exactly* as described in the CFA's breed description (even
though she is a rescue, I'd say she had to be 99.9999999% Maine Coon)...

"While Maine Coons are highly people-oriented cats, they are not
overly-dependent. They do not constantly pester you for attention, but
prefer to "hang out" with their owners, investigating whatever activity
you're involved in and "helping" when they can. They are not, as a general
rule, known as "lap cats" but as with any personality trait there are a
few Maine Coons that prefer laps. Most Maine Coons will stay close by,
probably occupying the chair next to yours instead. Maines will follow you
from room to room and wait outside a closed door for you to emerge. A
Maine Coon will be your companion, your buddy, your pal, but hardly ever
your baby.

Maine Coons are relaxed and easy-going in just about everything they do.
The males tend to be the clowns while the females retain more dignity, but
both remain playful throughout their lives. They generally get along well
with kids and dogs, as well as other cats. They are not as
vertically-oriented as some other breeds, prefering to chase objects on
the ground and grasping them in their large paws -- no doubt instincts
developed as professional mousers. Many Maine Coons will play "fetch" with
their owners."

What's funny is that I read this *after* I wrote all the "helping Mommy"
stories about her.

That closely fits the Cooch. She isn't afraid of anyone, but prefers to be
a lover not a fighter. She snuggles, but doesn't want to be on your lap,
sitting beside you is preferred. She doesn't insist on climbing to the top
of the cat tree like Qui Gun Kit, but likes to be where she is part of
whatever is happening. Amazing.

Pam S.