Old November 26th 17, 09:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Monzamurcatto

Default Beware of bully cats

cshenk wrote:
wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 09:47:56 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 1:20:28 AM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
They can destroy your other cats' lives.

My best method so far for coping... Make a small closed belt
perhaps 4 inches in diameter. Very easy to do with
belt/strapping material and hot melt glue. It must be just
the right size. You slip it over their head and pull one of
their legs, paw first, through it. If the size is just right,
they can walk and use the litter box, but they are somewhat
disabled which discourages them from picking on your other
cats. That should be introduced gradually to avoid any muscle
strains. But it is a viable workaround because you can easily
dawn and doff it (put it on and take it off) using two hands.
It stays on. No apparent risk of hanging. In my opinion, if
you must cope with a bully cat, it helps a lot. Could not be
easier to use. Especially good for when you are gone.

I just found this newsgroup,. Much of this post is simply wrong.

Now, think this through: The cat is, essentially, on three legs.
Nor can it jump reasonably. Nor can they avoid problems, threats or
other dangers reasonably. Your dwelling must not contain stairs, or
had better not contain stairs. That is problem A.

I had a cat who lost a rear leg to cancer. Post amputation, it could
run, jump, speed up stairs. Thier mobility is impaired far less than
believed. And this was a 16 year old who made it to 20.

Now, we can agree that you have a 'bully' cat. Where we disagree is
whether keeping it in the 'general population' is more desirable
than separation and gentling over time. If your dwelling is so
small as to prevent reasonable separation of problem cats, then you
have too many cats. And even if noble motives are the cause of such
crowding, you are past the point where 'doing good' outweighs the
obvious 'bad'. That is problem B.

And with too many cats what do you do? If it's a bully it's not going
to get a home, just dead.

Cats may be incredibly flexible and have a lot of cartilage where
we have hard bones - but that is not to suggest that a sudden
exertion due to panic or some other cause is out of the question.
And should such an event take place "while you are gone", anything
up to dislocation could occur. That is problem C.

Just wrong again. They can do most anything most other cats can do.
And what kind of "event" did you have in mind?

There are others - but they are less blatant.

Hi, we are hoping to regrow this group but we have some very strange
folks.

Totally new here.. but I think both sides haves points.

Hampering a bully isn’t that bad an idea. Just separating and “gentling”
sounds very vague- is that castrating or trying to tame by hand feeding or
something.

A cat that bullies other cats won’t behave better with other cats by human
taming. It’s a cat/cat thing not a human/cat thing.

If the belt works and doesn’t hurt the cat, sounds like it’s worth a go.