Old August 20th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

Default Pet Friendly Pesticides?

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
I can't recall if I asked about this already. I don't know what the woman
who sprays Mom's house uses but it can't be good for pets. She was here in
April, spraying everywhere (even in closets!). Every few days I find bug
corpses. Seems like they die within hours of coming inside. Whatever this
stuff is it's still potent. If I didn't know better I'd think DDT...

I told her then I'd be bringing Persia (and possibly Peaches) back with
me. I said I was very concerned about the pesticides she uses. She seemed
puzzled by this. Unlike the "tax woman" Mom was using, she does do this
for a living; it's not a sideline. Surely this isn't the first time she's
been asked about this by a pet owner?!

Based on the bug carcasses I keep finding (mostly small beetles, spiders
and the occasional disgusting Palmetto bug) not spraying isn't an option.
Doesn't seem just spraying around the doors and windows outside would be
sufficient, either, since she does that too and they still get inside.

When I was back home UPS delivered a package. I have a sign on the door
of my apartment: "No spraying inside, I have a cat and a bird". The man
who delivered the package said, "Deciduous earth." Huh? He said pets can
roll around in it, even eat it, and it won't hurt them. Googling nets a
few old testimonials to this effect but no further information. What is
it? Where would I get it? Is it mixed with water and sprayed? Can't
have anything powdery sprinkled all over the place.

Most articles relating to pet friendly pesticides refer to lawns and
gardens, not indoor treatments. Any suggestions?

Jill

I have an exterminator who comes every three months. I live in East Texas,
and bugs of all sorts and sizes really *thrive* here. The exterminator I
use is very careful. He uses pyrethroids inside the house, and he does
*not* simply spray it around. He dusts carefully in crevices and areas that
the cats cannot reach. He uses a more potent insecticide outside -- around
the doors and windows, as you said, but also all around the perimeter of the
house. I seldom see an insect inside the house.

If the woman your mother has been using seemed "puzzled" by your question,
it's probably time to look around for someone else. Professional
exterminators have known about the need to be careful around pets (and
different preparations to use) for many years.

MaryL