Old January 22nd 05, 08:39 PM
Phil P.

"Nell" wrote in message
Hi,

My cats are five and a half months old and I have just felt discrete
testes the size of a small pip or a tiny pea inside their sacs. I know
some vets won't operate until cats are 7 months old and others are
willing to do it as early as 4, however, I am inclined to believe that
removing their testes too early does interfere with the whole chain of
hormonal reactions, involving a number of seperate organs, and, thereby,
the development of further organs and ducts, the diameter of the urinary
tract being one example.

Outdated myth! So is "early age neutering stunts growth". In fact cats
neutered early (8-12 weeks) are often *taller* than cats neutered at 6-7
months. The sex hormones affect the distal radial growth plate closure at
the ends of the long bones. The earlier the hormones are removed, the longer
the bones grow..

There is also no difference in uretheral diameter or pressure between cats
neutered early and cats neutered at 6-7 months.

Most of the vets who oppose early age neutering haven't done it because of
their unfamiliarity with surgery and anesthesia on pediatric cats and dogs.
EAN wasn't taught in vet schools until fairly recently although its been
performed in cats and dogs for 30 years.

Early age neutering is *less* traumatic for cats with virtually no bleeding
and quick recovery times. These advantages are even more pronounced in
female kittens - who up and playing within minutes and eating within an hour
after surgery!

Can anybody give me authoritative advice on this matter or refer me to
an authoritative source online?

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/repo...ly-neuter.html

Google "early age neutering" and "prepubertal gonadectomy". You'll find
volumes of information --- and literally *no* adverse effects - providing
the vet follows well established protocols for surgery and anesthesia in
pediatric kittens.

Phil.

"I have found my love of cats most helpful
in understanding women'
--John Simon
Feline Healthca http://maxshouse.com