Old January 24th 05, 08:00 PM
Nell

I think I'll have their "pips" out this week.

Phil P. wrote:
Smart play, Nell.

Thanks, Phil.

Rang the vet this afternoon. Was told to give them no food or drink
after 7pm this Wednesday, they go in for their ops the next morning
(Thursday) at 9am, and I can pick them up in the afternoon. Does this
sound right?

How much? US$40 each!

You might find the following interesting.

In 1991 I returned to Kuwait following the Gulf War. Arab countries are
full of stray cats. GENERALLY, Muslims do not care for cats. GENERALLY
they are treated like vermin. Hence, Kuwait and Saudi (where I have
also lived) are teeming with terrified and diseased strays, that spend
their lives in the vicinity of outdoor rubbish bins. Along come Yanks
and Brits, like us, and we feel sorry for them, rig up boxes (you know,
like you did as a kid, with a stick underneath and you on the end of a
string!) and catch them. You took back to the Gulf all sorts of
medicines everytime you returned to the West on holiday, to stamp out
their diseases, get them into condition, but how to neuter them? In
1991, in Kuwait, there were NO vets dealing with domestic animals.
Punchline: what did we do? Those of us working at the university, or in
medical capacities, filched anaesthetic, and we did the job ourselves on
the kitchen table! It was slightly stressful because of all the cloak
and dagger business involved, but it didn't cost US$40 per cat, I can
tell you!

Now, thankfully, there ARE several vets in Kuwait dealing with domestic
animals (Philoppini generally), though, still, in the waiting room,
owners of cats are Westerners, and owners of dogs and birds are Kuwaiti.

Thanks again.

Nell.