Old April 12th 10, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default [OT] Chicken fried steak gravy question

"Yowie" wrote in message
Ok, so Joel & I are doing the couch potato thing, watching Travel
& Living channel, a show called "Man vs Food". The guy is in Texas
and talking about chicken fried steak, which sounded totally
weird, until we saw it being made. I'd probably call it simply
'veal schnitzel', but hey, whatever. It was served with mashed
potato, but there was a white sauce they called 'gravy' that was
poured over the chicken fried steak and pooled into the middle of
the mashed potato.

What was the 'gravy'? because 'gravy' around these parts is brown
and tastes like whatever meat you are supposed to be eating
because it should be made out of the cooking juices if made
properly (although there are of course 'instant' alternatives). It
certainly shouldn't be white, not even chicken gravy is white,
just alighter brown than beef or lamb gravy.

Figured at least one person here would know the answer..

You guys really have to fit travel to the US into your lives. I'm
not saying the food is better or worse then anywhere else, but it is
interesting.

One of my 'life goals' is still to eat lobster at a picnic table by
the ocean in New England.

I'd love more Florida Grouper. Or any other Florida seafood.

I really miss Amish cooking, though I can do a bit of it.

And I love any fried southern food, though I've learned its best
done by a southern cook in the south. Fried Okra anyone?

Jo