Old November 11th 07, 07:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

Default Is this weird or is it me?

On 2007-11-11, Gracecat penned:
On Nov 10, 6:51 pm, "Monique Y. Mudama"

wrote:

So I guess what I'm thinking is, the most charitable interpretation
is that she's a good person who cares about her dog and just said
something a little odd. And hey, maybe the dog does look cute to
her. Who's the one-eyed kitty (her name escapes me right now) that
was saved from the brink of death? A lot of people here commented
on how cute she was because she looked like she was winking all the
time.

That would be Helen's wonderful huntress and the belated Frank's
paramour, Waffles.

(I think)

I think I actually meant a kitten -- Lily, maybe?

Mutt's as ugly as homemade sin but in a freakish sort of way
absolutely beautiful too. She's got some funky coloration patterns
going on. So I can see making a crack about her but I'm with Lesley
too. Everybody who was around me while Mutt was going through a
serious surgery and post-op knew about it because I was constantly
fretting over her care. But if running into a friend who asked about
my pets a length of time after the health crisis I'd probably remark
on any changes if it affected her looks or personality before
explaining myself fully because Mutt's looks and personality have
always been a subject of discussion among family and friends.

I think we also tend to assume that everyone we know knows everything
about whatever is currently on our minds, so we may skip to the "news"
instead of giving the full background.

And, memory is a tricky thing. It's kind to us, tends to fade out the
worst.

If the surgery took place a few months ago, and she's no longer in a
state of concern for her pet then it's easy to focus on the current
state of things. My leg is no longer broken, and I'm no longer under
a doctor's care so whenever somebody asks, I usually just grump
about the ugly brown discoloration the incision left behind. Because
that's the here and now to the situation that is no longer a
situation. If that makes sense It's an avoidance tactic when
you've been frightened, an apology of sorts for being so grim about
it as much as the person may have been and it doesn't necessarily
mean she had to be tragic with you but after a while personally I
start to act positive because I feel so guilty about being so down
all the time about something if it's bothering me. My broken leg was
the end all and be all for two months. So lately even if I'm having
a miserable day from arthritis I will say something positive about
it when asked.

I think as long as she loves her dogs, each reaction to nearly
losing one is different and normal. Unless she would discard the pet
if it's ugly or refuse to care for it, I wouldn't worry about it.
Fear and concern sometimes can make us appear to be very crass
creatures.

FWIW, I agree.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully