Old April 30th 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Default Levi and the emergency hospital, and what foods are best forstruvite crystals?

On Apr 28, 3:05*pm, "Rene S." wrote:
While he was in the hospital (all day), I bought him a water fountain
(which he already loves!) to encourage him to drink more, and did some
very thorough research on food. *He has been eating Evo dry and wet,
but lately more dry (I could kick myself), and lately he has been
under a lot of stress due to a home remodel (so probably not drinking
enough). *The Evo wet looks good with the exception of a surpisingly
low protein content relative to the prescription foods.

When you compare nutritional values, you need to compare the dry
matter basis on the Innova Evo--which excludes the water. If you do
this, you'll find that the Evo has one of the highest protein contents
out there.

An all-canned diet would be an excellent idea for this cat, Innova Evo
is great as is Wellness canned (make sure to get the grain free
varieties) or Nature's Variety canned.

You also need to read this article:http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/urinarytract/

Hi everyone, thanks for your responses. Levi was eating Evo DRY
previously, and some wet, but lately mostly dry because I was being
lazy so the wet was a change. The foods are dramatically different
when you compare the nutritional analysis. The emergency doctor
compared the key ingredients of Evo wet to the prescription diets and
thought it might be enough to take care of the problem. Today his pH
was lower, at 6.5. Which is good news as it was high previously.
Unfortunately, he now has both types of bladder crystals and continues
to strain to pee. He's starting on a special diet to dissolve the
crystals and will remain on it for a month and then be re-checked.
Our vet thinks he should respond well. If I can get him to eat it...

He will never get dry food again, that is for sure, and hopefully we
can find something he likes that works.

I'll read that article, Rene, thank you for posting the link.

I'll report back, I know a lot of you are fond of him over the wires.
Thanks again!