Old February 20th 05, 03:11 AM
Phil P.

"kitkat" wrote in message
om...
Phil P...I'm looking in your direction.

Jasper has basically slept ALL day. He did get up to use the cat box a
few times. The turkey meat that he hate...he barfed up. So it looks like
tomorrow we start the regimen of prednisone. We still have to give him
half of his dose of amoxicillin since he fought us off after only taking
half a dropper full.

If things don't start improving with the prednisone and a little more
antibiotic, I'll be taking him back to the vet on Monday. But in the
meanwhile...any words of wisdom?

First off - are you sure he has pancreatitis and not IBD?

The usual treatment for pancreatitis - *only* if the cat is vomiting and as
long as there's no evidence of hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver syndrome), is
withholding food and water for 24-36 hours to rest the pancreas. But this
dietary therapy was extrapolated from canine pancreatitis. I've seen some
compelling evidence against withholding food and water for more than 24
hours in cats. Yet some vets still swear by it. If food must be withheld
any longer than 24 hours, a feeding tube should be used.

Before I'd go that route, I'd try feeding small meals and see if he
tolerates its without vomiting. I've had pretty good luck with boiled
chicken (white meat) and rice. I've also had some luck with Nutri-Cal. I
don't think cats with pancreatitis are affected by fat as much as dogs are.

A serious complication of pancreatitis is hepatic lipidosis - which is why I
wouldn't withhold food for more than 12 hours (only if the cat is
vomiting) - especially if the cat hasn't been eating.

Good luck,

Phil

scared!
Pam