Old December 8th 03, 05:40 PM
Yngver

Marek Williams wrote:

In the meantime, I read that cardiomyopathy is a common problem with
Maine Coons, as is hip dysplasia. I have a visit scheduled at the vet
for December 15 to get a booster for one of the vaccinations, so I'll
ask her about these issues. In the meantime, are there any other
medical things to watch out for with Maine Coons? And is it possible
to check at his age to see if he is going to develop any of these
ailments?

Since it's unlikely your cat is a purebred Maine Coon, I wouldn't assume a
greater than average risk of cardiomyopathy, except that there has been some
association with big cats in general. If your cat were purebred and you could
get hold of the pedigree, there is a registry that could tell you whether his
lineage is cardiomyopathy-free.