Old January 17th 04, 03:37 AM

In article VCWNb.5044$zy3.710@okepread01,
"Cat Protector" wrote:

cats will often have trouble with the adult rats, they can take
care of the juveniles

Heh. The colony I care for at work has plenty of rats; the rats live in
the ivy landscaping.

A co-worker told me she saw one of my colony (ButtonNose, a small grey
striped DSH) dragging a HUGE struggling live rat across the parking lot.
The rat was much bigger than the cat--big enough to frighten my
co-worker--yet the cat had it firmly. The rat freed itself eventually
and ButtonNose chased it under the cars where my co-worker lost sight of
them.

I don't know what happened to that poor rat, but ButtonNose showed up at
the feeding station for dinner that night fit and healthy with nary a
scratch on him.

I think a lot depends on the nature of the individual cat. ButtonNose
knew his queen and she taught her litter how to hunt and kill. Some of
the other ferals seem not quite as skilled.