Old October 7th 13, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL[_2_]

Default Feline Breast Cancer (Post-surgery)

"KLopez" wrote in message

Does anyone have experience with low white blood cell counts and
chemotherapy?
Did WBC fall then rise?
Do you think chemotherapy was worth it (health and happiness of the cat,
financial and emotional for you)?

So, our 5 year old spayed female has breast cancer. In July she had a
radical mastectomy to remove the right mammary chain. Four weeks ago she had
her first chemotherapy injection.
Initially we were going to do a treatment every two-three weeks with blood
work in between the early treatments to check for side effects. The problem
is that her white blood cell count remains too low for further chemotherapy
after four weeks. The oncologist says this is unusual but I should bring her
back next week for blood work again. When I started I felt that chemo was
the way to go but I don't want to drag her to the vet every week for blood
work.

~~~~~~~
I have not had any experience with chemotherapy, but I had to make a
decision for my wonderful cat Holly just two months ago. The vet found a
large mass that had not been there just a few months earlier, although she
had suddenly been showing evidence of discomfort and rapidly declining
health. Holly had developed a very rapid and aggressive cancer. I made the
decision not to put her through any more tests or painful procedures. She
had already spent a week in the hospital on IVs, and a tech had come to my
home twice a day for awhile to administer fluids. When the cancer was
confirmed, I decided that I could not force her to undergo any more pain
just for my own selfish desire to have her with me. I had a very long
discussion with the vet, and it was clear that she would probably not
benefit. He told me that even a cat 10 years younger could probably not be
helped. So, I made the decision to have her put to sleep and avoid any
further pain. Actually, I avoided any further pain for *her.* The pain for
myself was devastating, but I still consider that procedure to be the final
act of love in situations like that. I sat in the examining room with her
for some time, and then I held her and talked to her when the final
injection was administered. I cried the entire time.

Now, as to your question: I really cannot answer this for you because
circumstances vary. One important difference is that Holly was 18.5 years
old, and your cat is only 5 years old. I think you should have a long and
open conversation with your vet. Ask what the probabilities are that you
could gain more than a few months by continuing with chemo and other
procedures. If possible, contact other vets and ask for a frank opinion
about her case. You have my sincere concern, no matter what you decide. I
really do understand the pain we face when we have to make this type of
decision. The important thing is to do what is best for our beloved pets,
and sometimes (as shown in your message) that is a very difficult thing to
do.

MaryL