Old August 17th 12, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house
Higgs Boson

Default Fences - Cats - DIY?

On Aug 17, 7:08*am, dgk wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 20:59:00 -0400, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
Gas Bag wrote:

She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in.
To any cat "lovers" out there, my friend isn't getting rid of her
cats, nor is she trapping/baiting any of the cats in her suburb.

Anyone who cares about their cats doesn't let them out.

Like most absolute statements, that's nonsense. Cats enjoy being
outdoors and if we really care about our cats we want them to be
happy. Safe counts but so does happy.

Sometimes there is no option, like when you live in an apartment in a
city. But I rigged the fence in my little backyard so the cats can't
get out and I let them out whenever I'm able to - of course I must be
home.

Sure there is some risk. Maybe some critter left a hole in the fence -
raccoons and possums can do that. Maybe one will climb a tree and jump
into the next yard. I try to minimize that risk by putting Loc8tor
tags on their collars. But like any knowlegable cat owner I use
breakaway collars so even that isn't foolproof.

***My cat specializes in losing breakaway collars with the name tags I
paid to have made. I finally gave up. He's chipped, so if he's found
and the finders have enough sense to call the local shelter, he could
potentially be located.

One thing: I was warned a few years ago to KEEP HIM INDOORS on
Halloween; black cat. So I bring him in during the day, set up food
and toilet, and don't let him out till next day.-

But they love lying on the cool earth under the evergreens, or eating
the grass or some bug. Or they just hang out on the deck and sniff the
air. Of course I don't use any pesticides or other poisons. Once or
twice a year one will catch a bird. Sometimes I'm quick enough to save
the bird. They are just so proud when they get one though. I make it
up to the birds by feeding them all winter and even putting up a
heated birdbath.

***Hah! Me too! I saved a bird just the other day and confined it
briefly until it settled down enough to fly away. [Censored]
generations of mocking-birds have been teasing the cats all these
years, and some of them go too far!

For me, the small risk that something will happen to them is more than
offset by the enjoyment they get by being "free" outside. I've had
eight cats during the 16 years that I've had this fenced in yard. Four
have died, but none because they were allowed to go out. Four are
still enjoying the yard and will do so today when I get home.

FOUR CHEERS! I view with dismay the idea of cooping up an animal in
an unnatural environment just for the selfish enjoyment of the owner!
If that goes for cats, which I've had all my life, imagine how much
more it goes for dogs, especially HUGE dogs shut up in a small
apartment, and afforded only a daily walk by the perhaps conscientious
but normally busy owner, employed or not.

HB