Old March 31st 05, 11:23 PM
ElvisRocks

Yes, he probably did. But he only eats a few mouthfuls of dry a day.

"Karen" wrote in message
I'm thinking she meant 1/2.
Don't you think?

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message

"ElvisRocks" wrote in message
Hi all. I am finally getting a new cat on Sunday from a shelter.

Good! :-)

I took my
Randi to the vet for shots yesterday. They said he is
too fat - 15.75 lbs! And that he has a very slight heart murmur, which

is
more reason to make him lose some weight.
It was hard when Elvis was here to distinguish who was eating what, but

now
it appears Randi is eating 2 or 2-1/2 3 oz. cans a day and very little

dry
food. The vet said to cut him down to one small can a day and two cups

of
dry.

Two cups of dry/day, in addition to the 3 oz. of wet food!? Holy

mackerel,
but that's a LOT of food! 3 oz. of wet, plus 1/2 - 3/4 cup of dry,

maybe...
IMO/E, for that size of a cat.

I had an overweight medium-sized cat who weighed 13½ lbs. The vet put
her
on a diet of 1/2 cup Science Diet Light/day. That was it. She very

slowly
(as is advisable) lost weight over the next few years on that diet - to

9½ -
10 lbs. I also fed her *tiny* little treats - a few shreds of cheese, a
Tbs. or 2 of milk, some cantaloupe cubes, etc. Enough to give her
occasional treats, but not to wreck her weight-loss diet.

Cathy

But he doesn't eat that much dry food.
How much do your cats eat? He is a big cat, not just fat.

When I get the new cat (an adult female) after I take her to the vet

right
away for bloodwork, when she gets the clear and I can bring her home, I

need
some suggestions for introducing them to each other. With Randi, he

was
only 9 weeks old and Elvis was mad at me for a day and then he mothered

him.
I kept Randi in a separate room for a couple days and then they were

fine.
Just would like to get
your suggestions. Thanks, Carol Oh, and my vet has KITTENS

available
in a couple weeks! They aren't ready yet but
I think I am going to get two. Or three. lol