Old November 1st 09, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Default My first Halloween

I think you're right. It's becoming more popular to have parties at
someone's house or a community centre, than to do door to door. I
even see malls doing events where parents can bring their kids as a
trick or treat alternative.

My own dad made a habit of only taking me to the houses of people he
knew, though if they lived in duplexes I'd get candy from their
neighbours too. My dad always made a policy of checking over my candy
too before he'd let me eat it.

I think that if parents go out with their kids and check candy before
it's eaten, trick or treat is perfectly safe. Fewer people give out
homemade treats and more people buy prepackaged treats for this
specific reason. As a teenager I was always happy to babysit on
Halloween because it meant I got to wear a costume, go trick or treat
and get candy too.

--Fil