Old December 1st 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Underground radio type fences

On Nov 29, 3:29*pm, "Zy" wrote:
Recently moved from a rural home to a suburban home about 1 year ago. My 2
cats previously had an indoor-outdoor lifestyle. Ever since the move they've
both been bored and depressed while living indoors only. One of them (a 5
year old) is now unhealthily bony. So I'd like to enable them to go outside,
at least while I'm also outside with them. However, they must stay confined
to the rear yard. When we lived in the rural area, a fence wasn't necessary
as they never wandered outside the expansive property boundaries, and if
they weren't in close proximity to the house, they would return for dinner
via my loud whistle call.

If any of you have any experience with those buried cable fence systems
(invisible; utilizing an electronic cat collar), please remark. I'd be
willing to obtain a system if it sounds like it could be reliable.

Been there, done that. Our big Maine Coon would twitch as he walked
across the fence - and twitch when he walked back across it. Even with
the "enhanced" (large dog receiver) system and long spikes. He would
_never_ run or jump across the fence, nor would he try to get around
it. He would walk straight down the path to the gate, and straight
through the gate never changing his very moderate pace. I tried the
collar on my fingers to see if it worked - and *YES* *IT* *DID*. So,
don't waste your money. Dogs, on the other hand, exist to please so
they will typically respond to the appropriate collar and spike
combination.

If you are on a busy street without a large amount of safe and more
attractive-to-cats access, an enclosed outdoor area is the only safe
option. More-so than that, it is nearly impossible to overcome a cat's
natural curiosity - they will roam in every direction but the one you
want.

And a cat that does not want to be on a leash will slip a neck collar
nearly instantly and tangle a harness almost as quickly. Go with the
enclosure. A portable screen room (with an attached floor) is an
inexpensive option, or one that can be tied down well enough to
prevent them going under the skirts.

Just keep in mind that they will haunt the doors and attempt to pull
the screens out of windows.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA