Old June 7th 11, 03:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Default ArachnoOops

Takayuki wrote:
Sherry wrote:
You've *got* to let us know how that works out!
I really like argiope spiders. There's always one on the porch.
They get fatter and fatter, then like overnight an egg sac appears,
then
the spider's colors start to fade by October. It's kind of sad, and I
always think about Charolette, the children's story.

About an hour ago, I came across a large spider with what looked like
an oddly colored and distended abdomen. It was waddling awkwardly
across the floor. I knelt down and nudged it curiously, causing the
spider to start, and its "abdomen" to roll several inches away!

OMG, it was an egg sac!

I had no idea that spiders waddled around carrying their eggs from
place to place.

I rolled the egg slowly back towards the mother spider. The spider
didn't make a move. I rolled the egg directly against the spider. The
spider reared back, and didn't pick up the egg.

So I decided to leave the spider and its egg sac alone. I just went
back, and they're both gone. Probably, they went somewhere safe. Or
somewhat less likely, Buster found and ate them.

The thought of a cat eating spiders really bothers me. If it is a
poisonous spider, wouldn't it make the cat sick? Also, spider bites
hurt so wouldn't it bite the animal's mouth and tongue?
It gives me the "creeps" to even think about it. MLB