Old May 7th 09, 09:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat[_2_]

Default Ping - Victor

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Jofirey wrote:
usual baskets of chips and dishes of salsa they served a kind of 'salsa
slaw' It was hot and spicy like salsa, with peppers, but the rest of it
was shredded cabbage and grated carrots. Very likely packaged cole slaw
mix.

While shredded cabbage is a common topping for a few dishes (pozole,
tostadas, enchiladas in some places), I've never seen it served like a
salsa in Mexico. Come to think of it, I've never seen anything like it
before.
I make an asian-style slaw that is spicy and it goes great with pretty
much anything.

And if I may, Victor... I'd like to pick your brain for an authentic Mexican
recipe or two for the chilli plants I am growing in my greenhouse. Something
suitable for family cooking?

I have growing for a bit of heat:-

Cayenne

http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/cata...product/344-1/

Razzamatazz

http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/cata...roduct/1387-1/

Apache

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Shop/Vegeta...eds+159883.htm

For a bit of colour & sweetness:-

Californian Wonder

http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/cata...product/214-1/

Minimix

http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/cata...roduct/1408-1/

Over here they pretty much have to be grown in a greenhouse, warm, sunny
windowsill, outside only if hot & sunny.

So far, with my beginner's effort, the Apache are coming away nicely -
plants nearly a foot tall, and some buds showing
Cayenne - not as far on, about six inches tall
Same for the Californian Wonder
The others still at seedling stage.

I'm actually quite chuffed as I've got them to grow from seed without having
a propogator or heating. Just had them in homemade paper pots filled with
compost on a windowsill.