Old September 9th 04, 02:01 AM
Mary

"Steve G" wrote in message
om...
"Mary" wrote in message

om...
(...)
Demelza in abpa. I am just learning how to use my camera--it is a Nikon
4300. When I put the "red eye out" flash feature on, I get those

chatreuse
glowing eyes. Do you know how I would set it to have the cats look

directly
at me and not have weird eyes?

Basically, you can't reliably - at least with the onboard flash of a
P&S camera. You can:

i) Get an external flash (if available) - bouncing the flash off a
nearby wall will reduce redeye.

Like pros use. Hmm. Too much trouble, but good to know.

ii) Avoid using flash by either increasing the ISO value of your shots
(with increased noise, alas), or using a slower shutter speed (with a
risk of blurry pix).

This is useful.

iii) Remove the redeye in software.

This too, thanks.

iv) Somehow pursuade the cat to look at the camera at the critical
point when redeye reduction is in effect (ha! Good luck!).

My inability to get non-redeye cat pix with my P&S camera was one
reason I upgraded to something better than said P&S.

Do you mean a camera with no automatic setting when you say
"better than a point and shoot?" I was impressed that the Nikon
Coolpix 4300 would allow me to set the shutter speed and ISO.
Do I have to spend 3K for non P&S? I waited years for the kind
I have to go down from $800 to $200. And then waited for a sale.