Old June 25th 11, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
Bill Graham

Default Must Discuss the Kitties' Welfair

wrote:
On Jun 19, 12:55 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
I hate, hate HATE those companies that not only require a certain
number of characters, but refuse passwords that are recent repeats
of past passwords (like 20 passwords back, or won't allow
consesequitive letters, or common words, or anything at ALL easily
memorable - no wonder I can't ever get into the same place twice.
What the heck do they care if I get "hacked", that's *NY* problem,
and besides, the passwords I use and remember couldn't possibly be
figured out by anyone but me and *maybe* Ben. Who the hell are they
to tell me what's a proper password for me??!!

/password rant

I come up with passwords that mean something to me, but are not normal
names by themselves. And then I send myself an email with my username
and password hint. The hint makes perfect sense to me, so I don't have
to include the actual password. It could be a letter and the # sign,
and I know what name and number that is. It could be old goal or new
goal, and I know what that means.

At work, I keep it very simple as 3 of use the same account, and I
really doubt somebody wants to hack into the deli department account.
So I have an easy word, punctuation, and a number, and the number
goes up by a specific number every time it requires a password change.
That way, the other clerks can easily guess the new password if they
find it has changed.

I also like to answer security questions wrong, so that I know the
correct answer, but it isn't easily obvious. For example, I don't use
my sister's middle name for that question. I use somebody else;s
middle name. I don't use my first pet, etc.

Yes. Well, passwords vary in their importance. You can use simple ones for
unimportant things, but for the important stuff, it's good to have a
password that's difficult to figure out. and, it these important ones that I
would like to encode so that I can figure them out on the spot based on the
information I have rather than sheer memory, but nobody else could. - It
would be completely raqndom to anyone who doesn't know my "system", and that
way, I wouldn't have to write anything down. My problem with writing stuff
down is twqfold, I would misplace the book and not be able to enter my own
accounts, and/or someone else would break into my house when I am gone asnd
get all my passwords out of the book. In either case, I don't like the idea
of writing therm down in a book.
There used to be a physicist...A Niobel prize winner, and he liked to break
into his co-workers safes, just as an exercise. Most of the time, he would
find their combination taped underneath their middle desk drawer, or some
similoar place in their office. He knew very little about safes and how
they worked, but he knew a lot about his co-workers minds and how they
worked, which, it turnes out, was just as good if not better. This guys name
was Richard P. Feynman, and he wrote several books which are all a good
read. He was an excellent teacher, and anyone can learn a lot from his
books, even if they are not scientifically oriented.